Do you know what Echo Dot is? The Echo Dot of Amazon is a smart speaker that uses Alexa, a voice assistant that performs tasks like controlling smart home hardware, playing music, setting timers, and answering questions. The Echo Dot has a different design than other Echo speakers and is the cheapest Echo speaker in the Amazon lineup, but it omits some features.
What is Echo Dot?
But then what is Echo Dot? Amazon's Echo Dot is a product of many in the Amazon Echo family. It is a popular smart speaker that uses a virtual assistant called Alexa, developed from the AI. There are many generations of Echo Dot, including 1st Generation, 2nd Generation, 3rd Generation and 4th Generation originals.
Starting at R$250,00 (when it's on sale or on Prime Day), Echo Dot is the cheapest Echo speaker. For example, Echo Studio costs $1600,00.
- Echo Dot is our most successful smart speaker. Voice-controlled with Alexa, it's perfect for any environment. You can request music, news, information and more. Plus call friends and family and control compatible smart home devices with your voice.
- Ask Alexa to play music, answer questions, read the news, check the weather, create alarms, control compatible smart home devices, and more.
- Listen to music from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Deezer and more using the built-in speaker with surround sound.
- Make calls to the Alexa app or other compatible Echo devices without using your hands. Send notices to other Echo devices in your home.
- Alexa is always learning and adding new Skills like games, news and more.
- Meet Echo Dot (4th Generation): our most successful smart speaker with Alexa even better. The new front-facing audio design (1 1,6" speaker) ensures more bass and full sound.
- Control songs with just your voice. Listen to music from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Deezer and more throughout your home with the multi-environment music feature, or listen to radio stations.
- Always ready to help: ask Alexa to play music, answer questions, read the news, check the weather, create alarms, control compatible smart home devices, and more.
- Control your Smart Home: With your voice, easily control compatible devices and ask Alexa to turn on lights, lock doors and more. “Alexa, turn on the TV”.
- Make calls to friends and family with voice command via the Alexa app or other compatible Echo devices. Use Drop In to quickly connect to another Echo device or let your family know dinner is ready.
You can access Alexa through your Echo Dot by saying the activation word near the device. The activation word is the name the device will hear to know when you are calling. By default, the activation word is Alexa, but you can change it to “Echo”, “Amazon” or “Computer”.
After saying the activation word, you can follow any of Alexa's voice commands. Of course, you need to be close enough to your Echo Dot so that it can pick up your voice – it works best when you're within 10 meters. Your Echo also needs to be connected to Wi-Fi to function.
With Alexa from your Echo Dot, you can learn and use new skills that can add security, convenience and joy to your life. You can see all your Alexa skills and search for new ones in the Alexa app. Once Alexa learns a skill, it can be accessed through voice commands.
Here are some of Alexa's best skills:
- Controlling other smart devices: If you have other smart devices that support Alexa, you can configure and control them through your Echo Dot. This is perfect for smart TVs, lights, plugs, locks, thermostats and cameras.
- Listening to music: Alexa can play music from Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music and many other music services. You can even ask Alexa to play a musical style or genre.
- Offering Alexa Guard: The skill sets your Echo to listen for signs of trouble. It will act as a security device that listens for broken glass, alarms and other potentially dangerous sounds. You will be notified over the phone and can follow up with the emergency services.
- Weather reports: You can ask Alexa for a weather report as you get ready in the morning to find out what to wear. You can also request future weather reports.
- Answering questions: Alexa will scour the web and collect reliable information to answer any questions you may have. The virtual assistant is more capable than you might think, so don't be afraid to ask complex or difficult questions.
- Improving your productivity: You can set reminders, create to-do lists, read and respond to emails, make calls, and more to increase your productivity.
There are a large number of voice commands and features you can use with your Echo Dot, and you can read all about them on the Amazon website, after knowing what is Echo Dot here with us. As Amazon's machine learning models continue to improve, you can do even more if you know what Echo Dot is.
How Echo Dot differs from others
If you've ever purchased an Amazon Echo product, you've probably noticed that there are many devices besides Echo Dot.
It is important to note that there is only one Alexa. Any Amazon Echo or third-party device with Alexa built in will share all the same features and capabilities as AI. However, a device that “supports Alexa” or “works with Alexa” does not share the same features and capabilities. It just means they can be controlled using Alexa's voice service.
Take, for example, an Alexa-compatible smart plug. Yes, you can control the smart plug with Alexa, but you won't be able to talk to the plug to use any of Alexa's features or abilities. The most you can do is turn the plug on or off, track power consumption and create a schedule for it to operate using Alexa.
Take advantage of other services from Amazon:
- What Are The Best Amazon Prime Video Series?
- Amazon Prime Video: How To Download And Install On Smart TVs
Amazon Echo products do not differ in terms of features from Alexa, as they all have it in an integrated way. The main differences are in device design, which makes certain Echos better than others for specific activities.
A great example is the Amazon Echo Show. It has a smart 5,5” display, making it the perfect Echo to use whether you're trying to follow a video recipe with Alexa, call family and friends with video, or show off a beautiful photo slideshow.
The compact screen makes Echo Show ideal for these activities. You can still speak and access all of Alexa's features and abilities, just like with Echo Dot.
- Alexa with picture and sound content: 5,5" compact smart screen ready to help organize your day, provide fun and connect you with your friends and family.
- Built to fit your life: Easily update to-do lists and calendars. Check the weather forecast when you go out.
- Lots of fun options: ask Alexa to look for comedy movies or drama series. Or listen to radio stations and your favorite playlists.
- Control your smart home: Easily voice control compatible devices and manage them on the easy-to-use smart screen. Ask Alexa to show the security cameras and control the lights.
- Connect via messaging and video calling: Call friends and family who have the Alexa app or an Echo screen device. Send notices to other Echo devices in your home.
Echo Dot does not have a display, so it cannot show a video recipe or display photos. For recipes, Alexa will verbally list the steps to follow or ask to send the recipe to your phone – so you can watch or read it there. Alexa doesn't support photos on Echo Dot, so you'll have to look for another Echo device that does.
And, of course, larger Echo devices have room for more capable speaker hardware, increasing audio quality. Other Echo Devices in addition to Echo Dot and Echo Show include:
- Auto Echo: designed for your car.
- Echo Studio: designed for professional quality and optimal sound.
- Echo Spot: designed as a mini-display.
- Echo Plus: designed like a speaker like the Echo Dot, but better in terms of sound quality. It also supports Zigbee products.
- Echo Flex: designed as a mini speaker, with USB ports that can be plugged into wall outlets.
- Echo Input: designed to add Alexa to an external speaker by connecting it.
- Echo Link: designed as an upgraded echo input, with a volume knob and additional output ports.
- Echo Sub: designed as a subwoofer that connects to other Echo speakers for dynamic music and sound.
- Echo wall clock: designed as an LED wall clock.
- Echo Frames: designed as smart glasses.
You must buy Echo Dot
If you've never tried Alexa before, the Echo Dot is a fantastic and affordable smart device to try. With the features and abilities we mentioned earlier, you'll see how Alexa can be valuable and fun.
For starters, to keep it simple, use your Echo Dot as an alarm clock, to play music, to set reminders, and to create to-do lists. You can also treat the device like Google, asking Alexa any questions you have. This is a great way to get into the world of smart devices.
- Immersive Sound: 5 speakers that deliver powerful bass, dynamic mid-range and clear highs. Dolby Atmos technology provides perception of space, clarity and depth.
- Control your music by voice: Ask Alexa to play a song, artist or genre from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Deezer and more.
- Always ready to help: ask Alexa to play music, read news and answer your questions.
- Adapt to any environment: Echo Studio automatically identifies the acoustics of your space and continuously adjusts playback to provide the best sound experience.
- Integrated Smart Home Hub: Ask Alexa to control Zigbee compatible devices.
From there, you can play with other Alexa features and browse the skill list. With over 100.000 skills in Alexa (and growing), you can customize your Echo Dot's Alexa to the max.
Now that you know what Echo Dot is and if you're interested in Alexa and Amazon's Echo product line, Echo Dot is the cheapest hardware you can buy. It's highly recommended, although the larger Echos offer better sound quality if that's what you're looking for.
God of War tops Steam's bestsellers within hours of PC release announcement
Let's think about the heart of your gaming computer and talk about the processor for gaming notebooks
A beautiful tribute to champion Ayrton Senna in the Senna Forever expansion